Sickness Certificates & Fit Notes

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less.
Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or via the HMRC Website

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (Statutory Sick Pay)

It is up to your employer to decide whather or not you are capable of work.
A medical certificate (Med3), now called a "Statement of Fitness for Work" from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practicioner, e.g. a dentist.
Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable.
If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

How do I obtain a Sickness Certificate?

For a Sickness Certificate to be issues by a doctor, you will be required to attend an appointment (Either by a telephone or via a face-to-face consultation).
Once this

Statement of Fitness for Work - "Fit Note"

 The "Fit Note" was implimented on 6th April 2010.
With your employers support, the note will help your return to work sooner by providing more information about about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information, see the website 

Requesting a continuation of Sickness Certificate

Your doctor will issue you with a Sickness Certificate for a pre-determined length of time, e.g. two weeks.
When you reach the end of the time covered by your sickness certificate, you can request an extension of your current certificate.
This can be done by calling the surgery on the day that your certificate is due to end. Please note that doctors are not able to post-date sickness certificates, however, they are able to back-date them to ensure you have full coverage.
Depending on the length of illness, your doctor may require a review, in order to re-issue a continuation of a certificate.