What is it?
Constipation is common amoungst all age groups and can usually be easily treated at home with small changes to your diet and lifestyle.
There are a variety of causes for constipation, these include;
- Not drinking enough fluids
- Not enough fibre in your diet (Foods such as fruits, vegitables and cerials are high in fibre)
- Lack of movement or spending too long in a seated or lying position
- Being less active or not getting enough exercise
- Stress, anxiety, depression
- Ignoring the urge to go to the toilet
How do I know if it is constipation?
It is likely to be constipation if;
- If you are in pain or having to strain when having a bowel movement
- Your poo is large and dry, lumpy and hard
- You have not had a poo at least 3 times in the last week
You may also suffer from feeling bloated, stomach ache or feeling sick
Dietry Changes You Can Make
- Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids (Avoiding alcohol)
- Increase your intake of fibre in your diet
- Add wheat bran, oats and linseeds to your diet
Can I buy remedies over the counter?
All pharmacies stock a variety of laxetives and constipation releaf.
Speak to the pharmacist, if your are unsure which medication to take, they can also offer additional advise on dietry changes to assist you
Click here for more information on NHS guidelines for constipation
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.